Many of you know by now that it has been 5 days back from vacation with no children. Technically you could say I'm still on vacation. Mike went to work on that Thursday and I was in the house all alone. I amazed myself thinking I need to turn on the television or something because it was so quiet. Although I didn't, I turned to my computer and got a lot of planning done for next years school year. My goal is to have my plans in writing, my calendar set, and my first month of plans typed out. I'm also trying to purchase most of our homeschooling books for the 2008/2009 school year. We always try and start out the first week in August with a couple of subjects and adding a few each week until we are on full swing with school by the first week in September.
I am getting quite a bit of accomplishments done without the kids here, it is just quiet beyond all my comprehension around here. Now anyone who knows me knows I like quiet. We've gone to a new definition of quiet. Quiet is good when you've had your fill of noise (people, TV, kids, etc) and you just sit back and enjoy it. However, I've had 5 days of quiet. Even though Mike has been here, we both don't make enough noise to replace the absolutely resonating sound we get when our kids are here. Nobody giggling, crying, screaming, talking, laughing, asking questions, or anything. Just me typing on my keyboard and with my hearing as bad as it is, I can't even hear that. I'm ready for the noise again, for the voices behind the noise, and for the beautiful faces of my children. It takes them being gone for a while for me to realize how deeply I love them and desire them to be around all the time.
My new definition of quiet is that I like it in episodes but not in a series! I like little doses and not the whole kit and kaboodle! But I'm going to enjoy the next three days and try and listen to the still small voice of the Lord and try and remember all this quiet when there comes a very noisy day and all I want is quiet around me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Kari...I saw your blog address on Laura's blog. It's good to see how you guys are doing. The kids are so big! I still don't understand how one day can seem so long with small kids and then one day they seem so nearly grown! Brynne seems so big since we had Braith! And the house is frighteningly quiet and boring when she isn't here! We have pics on facebook if you guys are on there, i'm thinking of doing a blog, but haven't yet!...Amanda Norton
Post a Comment