Monday, January 28, 2008

Driving, school, and life

Well I feel as though I've driven so many miles in the past 6 weeks that I need "frequent driving" rewards from somewhere. I don't even want to think what my gas bill will be like. I'm so thankful though that God placed His angels over us and somehow managed to get from here to there and back (many times) without any incidents. I think I could drive my route blindfolded now.

School?! Hmmmm. . . Well when you homeschool you have to go with what life gives you somedays. Since my mom went to be with Jesus, school has kind of been on afterthought. Now that some things are squared away we are well on our way to doing more school. I did push the kids hard last semester trying to get them a little ahead of the game so I won't feel so behind. I really don't feel behind, other than my mind still isn't engaged. I need to be more on the lookout for opportunities for them to do, like field trips (more educational than fun) and to think outside the box where school is to help them enjoy this process a little more. But see that is where I struggle. I don't think outside the box too well. I'm too, well, lets say "square" most of the time. Any thoughts on how to liven up school and still academically succeed. And Amy how did you get Noah to take the SAT test? Can Sarah? Where would I find out? I believe she is gifted and talented (of course I think all of my kids are) but can I get her to take it too? Okay, enough about school. We aren't exactly finished just yet. Sarah is still reading and then she has vocabulary. She did a great job on her first test since Christmas! YEAH! I think this year might go down as the year my kids learned, but they didn't learn it from me.

Life, well it amazes me that it continues no matter what has happen. When tragedy strikes you sit back and think and things seem to get done but your not sure how. I am also amazed that the whole world, except for the small part you live in and your family and friends, continues on as if everything is normal, but for you it is not. It never really dawned on me until my moms funeral that other people all over the world was going through the exact same thing. Even last week as I was helping my step-dad with all the details of cleaning out the house and the bills and running errands, I passed by the funeral home where we had my moms funeral. They had a viewing going on, another family coming in to plan and a graveside going on all at the same time. Three families in one day were going through this grief. I truly felt for them and prayed for them. But life does go on and very soon (too soon I'm afraid) there will be a day I'll forget all this and then another day and then weeks will go by and life will have started again. I don't want to forget her and but my life will get busy with the hectic schedules and the schooling again and well I'll continue to live life without my mom. Praise God one day I'll be with Him and I'll see her again. She was with me as I began life and I was able to be with her as she ended this life and went on to another. Life goes on!

1 comment:

Amy R. said...

Check into the Tip Talent Search (Talent Identification Program) through Duke. It is a program for 7th & 8th graders. They qualify by scoring in the top so many percent (I'm not sure the exact number) on a standardized test. In Texas public schools, I believe they use the TAKS, but there are other tests also that can be used (perhaps the Stanford Achievement Test, but I'm not sure). You could contact TiP and see if they have provisions for homeschooled kids and what test to arrange for her to take. If she is too late for this year, then I believe some 8th graders take it too through TiP. I think it was a really good experience for Noah. He grew in confidence and has a better idea of how important high school will be to prepare him for taking the test for real as a Senior(and what it will be like). Oh, by the way, I commented on your comment on my blog...to answer your other question...check it out.