Thursday, September 11, 2008

Meet George Jetson . . .




Yes, Robotics is in! It feels as though we are living in space because of all the robots have taken over, however as I get in my car and realize that it can't zip up and out and straight to where I need to go, but has to drive over roads not so straight I take in that I'm not living in the Jetson world after all!


We had the coolest field trip yet this last Tuesday. We visited a college close by to get a hands on experience in the field of Robotics! We were able to see the a welding robotics arm and how much better their welds are than actual humans. The kids were also able to use a robot arm in order to pick up pucks and place them in a certain area. They were taught X,Y, Z principle. When the kids were asked do they know that, one child responded as he blushed, "Sir, that means examine your zipper!" LOL! We all got a good giggle but that was not the principle he was looking for. The X made the arm move from left to right, the Y made the arm move up and down much like our shoulder, and the Z made the hand move in a circular motion like our wrist. They all had great fun working these robots and seeing what they could do. Amazingly so the college professor explained to our kids that MATH was really important in the world of Robotics. Go Professor! I repeated that to my kids several times since then!


Enjoy the pics!

No comments: