Wednesday, January 14, 2009

New Years Resolutions

I received a very belated Christmas note the other day that bordered on a Happy New Year's letter. The letter caused me to really think about the New Year. Not the unknown about it, but the resolution of it. Every year even though I say I'm not declaring a resolution this year, I do anyway. It is usually something along the lines of dieting, exercising, and growing in the Lord that year. I'm always quick to write in my journal and dedicate it to the Lord as my contribution for the year. Do I keep them? I never stayed on a diet more than 3 years. I never exercised consistently more than a year and a half. I guess I could say I kept them some years, but mostly no, I do not consistently keep my declarations for very long.
So I thought about why I did this and does it mean anything to me. I mean what can I make of 2008 and what changes for 2009? Certainly 2008 was a year of numbness for me. A year that was spent missing my mom, missing my friends, praying fervently for my husband as he battles his hardest year in the ministry thus far and trying desperately to make it to the end of what seemed to be a very long and hard year. 2009 burst open with many surprises and has many things laying out there for me to grab ahold of, but have I? I celebrated my mom's promotion (going to heaven is that you know) with tears of joy, not sadness. I've reorganized and have truly started taking my time with each child bringing them along in their school subjects and spurring them on to harder ones. My house is mostly clean and we are running along smoothly, but that is where I must stop! Do I want to run smoothly or do I want to be challenged? Have I committed my way to the Lord or have I asked Him to commit His way in me? My answer, the first.
My heart still needs healing over the great loss in my life, our church still needs so much prayer and we need to change out of our apathy to a great revival asking Him to change us. So today, after being inspired by another persons resolutions, I asked myself some very hard questions. What is resolution anyway? It is being firm in my purpose! Am I firm in my purpose, not hardly. So my resolution this year, is to ask Him to commit His way in me and be firm in that purpose He has stated! What is that, I don't know as of yet, but I do believe I'm finally on the right track! What is your resolution? Seek Him and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you! Matt 6:33

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I needed that too...Thanks for sharing. :)