
Friday we all awoke to a very beautiful morning! Birds singing, mountain fresh air, and great sunshine! After a great breakfast burrito, making chocolate and butterscotch chip cookies, and Josiah's nap, we packed them all in and headed to Seven Falls. This is a waterfall tucked way back in or around Mt. Cheyenne (apparently under Mt. Cheyenne is NORAD, but you can't tour that anymore since 9/11). It was a beautiful drive as always, driving up and around all those cliffs and curves and Christmas trees (did you know Christmas trees grow all year round up in the mountains? I know they are Douglas Fir's, but it was just so neat to see Christmas trees everywhere I go, I loved it). We had a lengthy walk up a hill before you even saw the falls, but wow they are beautiful and breathtaking. They are named Seven falls because they have 7 points onto which they fall. All the platforms onto which they fall have significant names and , but I don't remember any of them. We first took an elevator up to see from a cliff the falls. Back down we headed up the hill a little more and chipmunks (so very cute) were passing right by us but didn't pay you any mind unless you had food. Then if you notice in the pictures the stairs!!!!! The Stairs! Did I mention the stairs!!!!???? 240 (I think somewhere around that number) steps on a truly vertical incline. 120 one way and a platform to rest and then another 120 and then a small bridge and then a few more (those weren't too bad). Because of the altitude, the constant chatting (from me I'm sure), the delectable cuisine I was receiving, I wasn't doing much exercising while I was there, so 240 stairs and altitude had me huffin and puffin like the big bad wolf trying to blow the pigs house down. I'm glad it didn't blow anything down because that would have been a very long fall. We eventually made it up and I felt so very sorry for Erin. All I know is she is a very valuable friend because she did all those stairs just for me (she has been here before!) and she climbed up all of them with an eighth month old baby strapped to her back in a backpack that had to weigh around 5 pounds too!!! She is becoming a mountain woman!! The view is breathtaking and we walked about 10 minutes back into the trails and found another waterfall called Midnight Falls. Beautiful and it was the perfect end of field trips for me because now I can say I went to Colorado and went hiking in the mountains (yes, I know they were stairs, but I promise it was just like hiking!). We embarked upon a great adventure and down, down we went in a very scary stair episode. You look as though you are just headed straight down. Once we got to the bottom and browsed the gift store we were all in need of those yummy cookies we had brought for just this occasion. I needed that sugar and a cup full of water. Seven Falls was beautiful!
1 comment:
That is so neat!! I love your comment about the stairs being a hike--I'm sure they were!! Glad you all had a wonderful time!!
Post a Comment