Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Turning 40!

A couple of weeks ago I started a new bible study and in reading the intro the author mentions the reason for her starting this adventure was that she was turning 40 and her life felt "half over". She wanted something to show for her "hopefully" next 40 more years. I was about to turn 40 and I kept watching the wrinkles grow closer and closer together on my face, the circles under my eyes getting darker, and the grey hair that I've had for a while now turning greyer. Now after the mirror on the wall showing me that I wasn't the fairest in the Land and now the book reminding me that my life might very well be half over, what was my feelings of turning 40? I struggled in my mind and in my heart I must say. However, I'm there now and it's not that bad!? "yet"

My wonderful husband doted on me with flowers, perfume, a pedicure, a Natalie Grant CD, shopping trips, and more. My children plotted with him to make me a gourmet meal from their Nintendo "Personal Trainer Cooking" and spent 2 1/2 hours preparing a wonderful meal. My Sunday school class took me out to eat and another Sunday school class created a wonderful lunch in my honor. I received money for shopping or whatever I wanted. I broke my diet several times and ate "unhealthy" food and more. Several friends called, including my birthday buddy! We had spring break so I didn't have to teach school or do school. This week and this celebration has been wonderful and it created a wonderful setting to turn 40 and see what lies ahead in this new decade.

Going back to the book, the author goes on to say something that inspired me and causes me to desire the same. In the book of Ruth, Boaz replies to Ruth a statement, "And now, my daughter, do not fear, I will do for you all that you request, for all the people of my town know that you are an excellent woman." (Ruth 3:11) I would love that if in 10 years or the next however many years of the life God has given me, for the town, city, or "group" of people I have been given to live around, they would say the same of me. That I have lived this life as an excellent woman. Not for pride, not for stardom, not for anything else, but God has given me a chance to show Him through an excellent life. So turning 40 is a challenge to live in an excellent manner and I pray He will allow me a chance to glorify Him throughout this next adventure He has so wonderfully given to me!

Thanks to all who made a wonderful birthday and turning 40 excellent!

1 comment:

Dillfam said...

That! AND you STILL look like a teenager!