Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Summer has gone, First Day of School!




We said goodbyes to the long, resting days of summer and said hello to, "Good Morning, it's time to get up and start our day! It's the first day of School!" Yes, and I received a, "Ah, mom turn off the light," "Nooooooooooooo,"and "OoooohAaaaaghUuuuugh!" Thankfully I didn't take any of that personally. I simply said, "It's a beautiful day, get dressed, make your beds, and come to breakfast, we are having are specialty!" With that being said they actually jumped out of bed and started moving. We always have a wonderful special breakfast on special days called Chocolate Gravy and Bisquits. Yes, you heard me correctly and I did spell that right. The kids came bounding in, lined up and received their treats and drinks and sat down happily eating. I gave them all their new chore charts and discussed some new chores with them. We had our morning reading learning all about Queen Isabella and Ferdinand and Christopher Columbus. They did their chores and I did mine and we started our school at 8:30 on the dot.


We started with our morning Character sketches. They sketches a bible character and an animal in nature that displays or rejects certain character traits. We are studying hospitality. We went right on into history learning all about US History and Christopher Columbus and the American Indians already in America. Our annual pictures of the first day of school and measuring took place all to everyones surprise that they all grew about an inch just in two months (we measure them at the end of the school year too!) After that it was time to split up. One went to read, the other started geography on the computer, and the other did their math drill. And so went the morning changing from one subject to another. Actually the only other subject was spelling. I start off very slow the first week and add harder subjects as the weeks go by. Usually by the last week in August we are in full swing of our school sessions, learning all subjects with a gusto. Psst. . . don't tell the kids but we add their math lessons next week!


And that my friends was our first day of school. Now I have to tell that because of certain computer difficulties we were not without our frustrations and stresses on our first day! They all three took things way slower than they should have, but we just finished our summer break with is nice and slow and relaxing (you really couldn't have figured out that we were slower this summer than school season, but we tried!). Although our first day might have gone on without a hitch, it didn't and we still survived and thrived.


My kids are amazing kids and learning all the time. We are off and running towards the 2008/2009 school year and running in mind of Phil 3:14, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." Our goal is Upward and Onward.

No comments: