Attending the fair was not only exciting and fun, but it was also educational. They had many shows ranging from eating contest, singing kareoke, and entertainment. The show we attended and learned from was the Cow Milking show. Yes, I said it right. If you look at the picture, they had this dairy cow (Holstein) in a trailor and taught all about the benefits of milk and how they actually get the milk out and to you. Did you know in our state (not sure if in all states) there is a rule that you may not drink milk straight from any cow, it has to be your cow? Basically he could not allow us to sample this because it would be against the law. Unless it is your cow, it has to be pasturized before allowing anyone a sample of your cows milk besides you and your family. Interesting facts! Anyway, the gentlemen who taught this roaring crowd of about 20 or so, had some funny jokes; "The front end of the cow is called __________," the crowd rightly stated, "The front end!", he said, "The other end of the cow is called _________,?" and the crowd stated, "The back end," but he corrected us and said, "No it is the Utter end!" Too funny! He also said there is a cheese (because cheese comes from dairy milk) that you can't eat. Of course the audience asks which one? He states, "Nacho cheese." (now for those of you who are slow this is supposed to mean "not your cheese.") He demonstrated the cleaning of the "teets" and the clamping on of the pumps and then in the picture above you will see the container with the milk that he pumped that milk into. Did you know also that the milk is about 100 degrees in temperature? I didn't, but warm milk sounds yummy. Especially straight from the cow. Mike said because he lived close to a dairy farm growing up he tasted this milk often and said it is way good. I'm sure it is way fattening too. This cow easily produced several gallons of milk during this one show. So there you go, we not only were entertained but taught as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hey kari, thanks for reading my blog, you may be the only one despite my attempts to let my family and friends know. I love your new layout, how'd you do it? I thought your son was a lego guy if I can remember from staying in his room- my son has a lego blog, you should let him see it. Hope all is good, I love keeping up with your blog, keep writing , also do you ever print them out? a nice alternative for scrapbooking since I can't get that done!
ok..I didn't even know there was a fair here in town besides the one by the stadium. Where have I been?
Thank you for educating me about cows. I think they are fasinating! I didn't really see too many cows 'till I came to Texas. I will have to go to the Fair next year...if I hear about before it's gone. :)
We actually drink raw milk from a local farm. In Oklahoma you can legally buy it at the farm but not in stores. You should google "raw milk"...it does have a lot of fat but it is the right proportions (the way God intended :) and is actually much healthier some believe than pastuerized commercial milk. It does taste better and we skim cream for our coffee and make our own yogurt from it. You can actually get raw milk in texas as well from certified producers. Check it out...it is a very interesting and hot debate among public health folk. We always joke that we can't let Landon's job know we drink it or he may get fired :) (he works for OK state dept. health.)....amanda norton
Post a Comment